Monday, August 18, 2014

Proving myself to Cal

* I have a story for you today, but also some news I'm not happy about.  It looks as though I may need to take this blog private at some point in the future. I don't want to, but I do see the necessity I suppose. That does not, however, mean I plan to shut my friends out. I haven't kept this blog up well lately - helping with the books, you know - but I'd like to continue posting my stories here. It helps me clear my head. I want to invite everyone who would like to continue reading here. If/when I take it private I can invite whomever I wish and if you are still willing to read here after all this time you will most certainly on my invitation list. But I have to know who you are. If you leave your email address in  a comment, or if you would like to send your email address to me or to PK, you will receive an invitation. I won't be closing it right away, but I can feel it coming.

casscat6575@yahoo.com 
elisspeaks@yahoo.com


Ever since Sue and I had our little foray into college life, things settled down and peace has reigned on the river. While I won’t go as far as to say Tom found our actions amusing, he didn’t seem overly upset about the pot smoking.  It was certainly featured in the lecture I received while being spanked, but Tom felt the more serious transgression, by far, had been shutting him out and not telling him why I was feeling so guilty.
I was even beginning to see Cal in a slightly better light. Although I tried my best to deny it, he and Tom were quite similar. Cal was very strict with Jenny on certain things, but I could, everyone could tell how very much he loved her. That went a long way in my eyes. Cal and I also took a step back from baiting one another. We still spared, but most of it was in a much more teasing mode than we had begun.
I know he was grateful for the way we had all taken Jenny to our hearts, even if I had led her astray a time or two and I also managed to gain Cal’s respect in one department. He had been at the house often enough to hear me complain to Tom about wanting my pistol back and to be allowed to go to the newly rebuild firing range. Each time he would roll his eyes at the thought of me running around armed. But finally, I think to shut me up more than anything, he invited us all to go shooting with him the next Tuesday. That was the day the range was opened only to peace officers.
Tom laughed at the invitation, “Cal, you don’t know what you’re doing. She’s not kidding when she says she can shoot. She’ll show you up if you’re not careful.”
Cal snorted, “If Cassie can out shoot me, I’ll sing ‘I Am Woman’ in front of my whole squad.
It was Tom’s turn to snort, “You better either take that back right now or start brushing up on the words.”
“I’m not worried,” he said with a smirk.
I said nothing, though I was elated. Arrangements we made to join him the next Tuesday morning and Tom, not wanting to miss the show took the morning off.  I was only sorry the girls wouldn’t be able to come see me humble the arrogant young sheriff.

~~

We still had quite a crowd at the range that morning. Most of the deputies know me know, not that that’s always a good thing. Annie, Sue and the boys were there along with Tom and me and we had even persuaded Lily to join us.
Our spectators took their seats and Tom stood with me. Cal and his deputies were practicing. There were a few good shots in the group, including Cal, but I was shocked at how poor a shot some of them were.
Cal soon came over, “Miss Cassie,” he said in a most condescending voice, “glad to see you. How long’s it been since you’ve been shooting?”
“It’s been nearly a year since Tom let me come,” I admitted.
“You sure you want this contest today? I don’t mind giving you a few weeks to get back in the swing of things.”
“Did you learn the words to the song you’re singing?” I asked. Not waiting for an answer I took my place where a target – the outline of a man – was ready. I slipped on my ear protection and turning to Cal commenting, “I guess I could use a little practice.” I loaded my little gun and then taking my stance I rapidly fired six shots. The jeering officers and Cal himself were silent as they saw my shot pattern, it was my ‘I’m showing off’ pattern. I’d put two in the head, two in the heart and two in the crotch.
“That’s enough practice,” I told a stunned Cal. “Shall we get down to some shooting now?”
Poor Cal didn’t stand a chance. He was a fine shooter, no doubt about it. But I was better. I won each time. I even beat every deputy there who challenged me although one truly gave me a run for my money. I was the hit of the day.
I must say Cal was truly impressed and generous with his praise. Tom was inordinately proud of me, which thrilled me to no end. But that wasn’t quite enough. “Cal, this is as good a time as any, how’s your singing voice?” I asked sweetly. “I know this isn’t your whole squad, but once it hit Youtube it won’t matter. Sing for us dear.”
Cal blushed violently, “I…I’m sorry Cassie. I really don’t know the words.”
“Don’t worry,” Sue called. “I got it on my phone last night – words right on the screen for you Cal.”
It was all I could have dreamed of, Sheriff Cal singing Helen Reddy’s most famous women’s right song,
I am woman, hear me roar
In numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to go back an' pretend 'Cause I've heard it all before
And I've been down there on the floor No one's ever gonna keep me down again
Oh yes, I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained If I have to
I can do anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible) I am woman
He sang it through, but the laughter drowned most of it out. Finishing he came to me, kissed my cheek and raising my hand he declared, “The winner!”
Cal improved my image of him, I thought he was quite gracious in loss. In fact I got a text from Jenny later that day which read, “Cal said you spank his ass on the shooting range!” I thought that was a wonderful way to put it and an image I’ll carry with me.
In addition to all the well wishes I also received something I valued just as much. That came a few days later when Cal stopped by the house. He had a question for Tom and me.
“Cassie, I now know how good a shot you are, but how are your teaching skills?”
“Teaching?” I grinned at him. “What do you want me to teach?”
“You keep complaining that Tom doesn’t what you out there shooting with the rednecks that are there most days. How about you coming on Tuesdays and giving some of my deputies shooting lessons. I think you saw that several of them could use some help. She’ll be surrounded by law enforcement,” Cal said, looking at Tom.
“I know she has a permit to carry,” he went on giving me a slight frown, “but she could also have a locker at the firing range if you’d rather her not travel with the pistol.”
I simply loved the idea and Tom seemed pleased too. Cal went on, “I could really use your help and as for the salary, with the state funds I’m allotted I can pay you exactly nothing. So how about it, you want the job?”
Looking over at Tom I got a slight nod. I turned back to Cal telling him, “If you’ll double that salary I’ll take it.”
“Done!” he agreed with a laugh.

I’ve been going for several weeks now and I love every minute I spend there. A few officers were reluctant to take my help, but I seem to be winning them over either by flirting or shooting which ever it takes. Tom seems most happy that all the deputies are getting to know me. I don’t suppose I’ll ever be able to make a move without some body hovering over me, but I’m still enjoying it.

23 comments:

Amyee W said...

It's great to hear from Cassie again. It's been way too long. I would like to be invited to continue reading here. I have read this blog from beginning to end and have enjoyed all the Cassie books. I'm anxiously awaiting the next book. My email address is Amyee13@gmail.com .

Amyee

Janey said...

Fantastic! I've been waiting for the next instalment, but understand that you've got other things going on.
I would love to carry on reading here please.
Janey x
Bootsyduck68@gmail.com

Emerging Lurker said...

Another great installment. Thank you. I'd also love to keep reading here. my email is elurker12@gmail.com. I also enjoy your Cassie books. Thanks for all your writing. EL

Cat said...

Way to go Cassie...would have loved to see Cal singing "I am Woman". LOL If you have to go private, please add me to the list
catsbrighteyes at gmail dot com.

Hugs and Blessings...
Cat

Cassie said...

Amyee,
Thank you so much for coming by. You will certainly be added to the list if I indeed have to go private.

Janey,
There is a lot going on, but I'm so happy to be posting again and so happy that my friends are still interested.

EL,
I'm so happy you want to keep reading. You're on the list for sure. I'm so happy you like the books, bless your heart.

Cat,
That was one of the funnest things I've ever seen. His men were laughing so hard - although not as hard as Sue and I. You are on the list!

Minelle Labraun said...

Never saw this coming! Cassie a fire arm instructor!
You know I want to read. I've been here almost from the start!
Minellesbreath264@gmail.com

Cassie said...

Minelle honey, I wouldn't leave you out for anything. I love it when you come by and comment. I think shooting is my one natural talent. And my students are coming along quite well!

Leigh Smith said...

I wondered what Cassie had been doing with herself. Things seemed awfully quiet.

You know I want to keep reading and you can get my email from PK.

dolly bag said...

Have enjoyed reading about you here and your books. Would love an invite if you do go private.
Gilldolly@aol.com

Belle L said...

I would certainly love to be able to continuing reading this site. My email address: honestlybelle@gmail.com
Thank you for the opportunity. God bless you and yours, -Belle L.

Belle L said...

Wow.. I need to go back to English class or pay more attention to what I'm typing... lol.

an English Rose said...

Hi there, please count me in, it's rosychuckles@gmail.com. Thanks
love Jan,xx

Patty said...

Glad to read a Cassis story again. Please kep me on your fan list. My email address is. patoseif@yahoo.com Waiting not so patiently for next Cassie book.

Cassie said...

Leigh,
I’m sure PK will give it to me!

Dolly,
I’ll be happy to include you. I’m glad you want to keep reading.

Belle,
Thank you for coming by. You are surely on the list. Gracious honey, your English is better than mine.

Jan,
I’ll be more than happy to include you. Thanks for asking.

Patty!
So good to hear from you, you were already on the list!

Jillie said...

Great to have another Cassie story,I re-read the books from time to time and always enjoy them again. Looking forward to the next book. You have my email and have confirmed you will put me on your list.

AngelBrat said...

Glad to see you checked in here again! I'd love to be kept in the loop. :) nicksbrat454@gmail.com
Tracy

Scunge said...

Hi Cassie/PK
I really hope you don't have to go private but if you do I would love an invitation,it's sad when a favorite blog does this with no warning,thank you for doing that. I would love to be able to still access Cassies's Space, my email is scunge1@gmail.com and my name is well you can see it on my from but I will give it to you anyway it's Katy Watson. I actually live my lifestyle 24/7 and have no fear of reprisal,I was fired in 2009 for being kinky though the company covered their butts so I wouldn't sue them. Karma bit them in the proverbial ass though as I will be very surprised if they aren't closed by Christmas. I worked for this company for over 20 years. Ah well,you don't want to hear all that jazz. I hope your school year goes better and that your new hearing aid is a help. It is quite pretty as hearing aids go. Oh and I hope Fantasy Friday continues as well,perhaps the threat of it going will get my writing butt in gear. ;)

Your loyal follower,
Scunge aka Katy

PS sending to your email got rejected so I copy and pasted here as I said I have no trouble with people knowing my RL name.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!
Will I still be able to read if I don't have a blog? I'll sent my email
Tia

Cassie said...

Jillie,
Thank you so much. I’m so happy you are enjoying the books. Yes ma’am, you’re on the list.

Tracy,
If I have to go private you will be right there with me.

Scunge,
I’m so glad you want to keep reading! You are on the list. I’m so sorry you lost your job for such a ridiculous reason. Why are people so narrow minded? You know you are always welcomed here.

Tia,
Yes! You don’t need to have a blog to join us out here, you are more than welcome. You can read silently or you are most welcome to leave a comment anytime. Send you email so I can add you to the list.

Anonymous said...

Cassie, this is my first comment, but I so enjoy your stories that I definitely don't want to be left behind if you have to go private. Although I haven't been with you from the beginning, I certainly went back to the beginning and read all the way through and have two of your books. Please keep sharing. My email is tsmith8395@hotmail.com.

Cassie said...

Anon, I'm happy to add you to the list! Please stop in to speak again.

Kaki said...

I hope you don't have to go private, but, if you do , please add me to your list. I enjoy your stories very much.

Litbrneyes said...

Hi Cassie, My Jenny and I really enjoy reading your blog which I've found only a few days ago. My favorite post so far is the bathing suit that Tom did not approve of.

Your a great writer!

Please send me an invite if you decide go private.Thank you!